Total Pageviews

Snow Leopards at the Zoo

The Central Park Zoo's snow leopards in 2009.Librado Romero/The New York Times The Central Park Zoo’s snow leopards in 2009.

Dear Diary:

I sometimes steal across to the Central Park Zoo to watch the snow leopards on my lunch breaks. There are two leopards, named Askai and Zoe. I went recently after a fresh snow and saw tracks leading to the top of their pens. A docent once told me that the leopards can look upon horse carriages on the Central Park Drive from there.

“They are raised in zoos, but instincts take over. Where they are from, a horse, a goat, is a meal,” the docent said.

It made me wonder if snow leopards have a taste for joggers as well.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.