Total Pageviews

New Yorkers Do Things Because They Can

Dear Diary:

Recently I met a New Yorker in an online chat room. She told me that a few hours earlier she had walked into a burning building. What for, I asked. Her response: “Because I can.”

I began to wonder: do New Yorkers do things without thinking of the consequences? Like the shark who found himself on the N train; was he so excited about going on the subway that he didn’t think about the consequences of leaving the Hudson?

Living in Australia I am unaware of what it’s like to be a New Yorker, but one day I hope to be one. Will I then conform to my surroundings and become unaware of the consequences?

I hope not.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.