Total Pageviews

A Red Carpet Stop for Willie Nelson, then on the Road Again

Willie Nelson on the red carpet at South by Southwest.Deborah Cannon/American-Statesman, via Associated Press Willie Nelson on the red carpet at South by Southwest.

AUSTIN, Tex. â€" The country music legend and occasional film actor Willie Nelson took time out from touring Sunday for a visit to the South by Southwest film festival and the premiere of “When Angels Sing,” an Austin-made holiday film directed by Tim McCanlies. Harry Connick Jr. stars as Michael Walker, a family man who is Christmas-averse. He meets Nick (Mr. Nelson), who sells him his mansion for a steal, but Michael only later discovers that the house is on one of the most Christmas-obsessed blocks in town. The movie, which also featurs performances by Lyle Lovett, the Trishas, Dale Watson and others, plays as kind of a country-western version of “A Christmas Carol.”

Mr. Nelson in EYA Productions and Fred Miller Productions Mr. Nelson in “When Angels Sing.”

In the film, Kris Kristofferson performs one of Mr. Nelson’s holiday songs, “Pretty Paper,”  and Mr. Nelson’s character sings a moving version of “Amazing Grace.” The screenplay, written by Lou Berney, is based on the book by Turk Pipkin, a friend of Mr. Nelson’s. Before greeting enthusiastic fans on the red carpet, and then heading  for a concert in Houston, Mr. Nelson, who will turn 80 in April, agreed to discuss “When Angels Sing,” life in the Austin area and his music career. ! Here are edited excerpts from that conversation.

Q.

How would you describe the character Nick

A.

I’m supposed to be some side of a half-crazed Santa Claus. Not really Santa Claus, but not really not.

Q.

What was the experience like playing that character

A.

It was fun, working with Harry and Kris and all those good guys and friends of mine.  My sister Bobbie is in there, too. We did a song in church. It was a time that we could all spend together.

Q.

How was the shoot

A.

It was real easy. We got to do it here at home [in Texas]. We shot most of it in Bastrop and that’s within driving distance from my house. So we drove to the set and back home every day. I’d love to do some more like that.

Q.

It sounds like you’re keeping busy with concerts as well.

A.

Ye, we’re playing Houston tonight and San Antonio the next night. We have a new record coming out named after an Irving Berlin song, “Let’s Face the Music and Dance.” And it’s with me and my band. It’s the first time me and the band have gotten together for an album in a while. It will be coming out in April.

A statue of Willie Nelson in downtown Austin.Mekado Murphy/The New York Times A statue of Willie Nelson in downtown Austin.
Q.

I came across your statue in downtown Austin this weekend. What do you think of it

A.

It’s a great tribute and I app! reciate i! t. I love it when people go down there and get their pictures made or throw [stuff] at the statue. Whatever they do is cool.

Q.

What do you have planned next

A.

We’re doing a duet album. If you remember my song “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before,” I’m doing an album with girls. I did a song with Barbra Streisand, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Alison Krauss, Rosanne Cash. Dolly wrote a great song in there, “From Here to the Moon and Back.” We did that song together. Sheryl Crow and I did “Far Away Places.” It was just a lot of fun singing with all the gals.

Q.

What’s your songwriting process like

A.

It’s kind of like labor pains. But whenever I get an idea, I have to sit down and write it. Because if I put it off until tomorrow, I might not do it.