Total Pageviews

Crying on a Public Bench

Dear Diary:

Almost three years ago my father passed away, shattering my world and my family’s. As we rebuilt our lives, many people were supportive, a few were less than that, but one man, whose name I’ll never know, helped me tremendously.

I was sitting on a bench in City Hall Park, crying on the phone with my mother after a particularly vicious boss had leveled me with a staggeringly unsympathetic comment about my loss. As I recounted this tale, tears streaming down my face, a man sat down next to me and ate his lunch.

I continued to weep into the phone. He finished his lunch and left. I would have never remembered him, except that a few minutes later he returned with a box of tissues in a Duane Reade bag. He handed them over silently and left before I could compose myself enough to thank him.

I thank him now for reminding me that just when you think humanity has shown you it’s worst, it brings out the best it has to offer.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.