Total Pageviews

Spotted With a Man Who Wasn’t Her Husband

Dear Diary:

My husband is not the passionate museumgoer that I am, so when I get the urge, I call our retired friend Dennis, who loves museums, and he and I meet for lunch and then spend the afternoon at the Met or one of the city’s other treasures.

One day, when Dennis and I were at the Museum of Modern Art, I saw a woman I thought I knew from the gym my husband and I belong to. She stared at me for a moment, too, but it was obvious that neither of us was sure, so no words were spoken.

A few days later, I saw the woman at the gym and I told her I thought I had seen her at the museum.

“I thought that was you, too,” she said. “But I didn’t want to say anything because you were with a man who wasn’t your husband.”

Which proves that you should always be with whom you’re supposed to be with, because someone is always watching.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.