Total Pageviews

Overheard on the Train, a Familiar Soundtrack

Dear Diary:

I’m on a packed No. 1 train when suddenly I hear “Tobacco Road” by the Blues Magoos, playing loud. I know the record â€" it’s on the classic “Nuggets” garage-rock compilation â€" and I wonder who on earth would be blasting it on the subway. I look around, but nobody has a boom box, or even the kind of headphones that might bleed this much sound.

Then the next song starts, and it’s “Sit Down, I Think I Love You” by the Mojo Men. Yup, it’s definitely “Nuggets.” I watch as various suspects leave the train â€" but each is acquitted, since the music continues. I decide that it has to be the conservatively dressed woman who had been fooling around with her laptop, although she certainly doesn’t look like the Nuggets type.

Finally, I reach my stop and get out, sad that I’ll never learn the answer â€" except I do.

Because the music is coming from my own iPhone.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.