Total Pageviews

Shopping and Anxiety

Dear Diary:

The following exchange was heard on Good Friday in line at Bed Bath & Beyond on the Upper West Side. (Really â€" you can’t make this stuff up!)

Characters: Two middle-aged men

First man: “So, did you ask him why he thinks you need two sessions a week now instead of one”

Second man: “Yeah, he said I’m exhibiting a lot more anxiety.”

First man: “Does it feel like that to you”

Second man: “I’m not really sure. But what I am really worried about is that someday I’ll get a call that the doctor died. Then what am I going to do”

First man: “Let’s hope by then your anxiety has been cured.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.