Total Pageviews

Mustard Fails Security Test at the Airport

Dear Diary,

Penknives, corkscrews, golf clubs and hockey sticks are some of the items that airline passengers will soon again be permitted to carry aloft, but, so far, still no more than a dollop of my favorite sharp condiment: deli mustard.

One of the most appreciated New York gifts I bring to family and friends around the country is a packet of a half-pound of corned beef and a half-pound of pastrami, double-wrapped in foil, from the Carnegie Deli. On my most recent purchase on Feb. 22, the counterman, perhaps recognizing a loyal customer, threw in a bonus: an eight-ounce container of mustard instead of the usual little one-ounce cups.

But at the airport, to my dismay, even though I had placed the container in a clear plastic bag atop my suitcase at the checkpoint, the mustard was red-flagged.

“Sorry, you can’t keep this,” the Transportation Security Administration officer politely informed me.

“But I’ve done this many times with the small containers,” I protested.

“Over 3.4 ounces is not allowed,” he explained, as he headed toward a trash bin.

I tried one last plea: “But it’s so delicious â€" the best deli mustard. Do you really have to throw it away”

He thought for a few seconds and then, extending the container toward me, said earnestly, “Well, maybe you could just go back outside and eat it.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.