Total Pageviews

For a Cheeseman’s Barclays Debut, Hit Play

So how did Patrick Watson, the opera-singing Brooklyn cheesemonger we wrote about on Sunday, do at his Barclays Center debut singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” in front of approximately 16,774 sports fans on Monday night Watch the video above and judge for yourself.

“It was sort of embarrassing to be in the spotlight, but I was thrilled and happy,” Mr. Watson said on Tuesday. “I’ll have that for the rest of my life.”

Mr. Watson, who grew up on Cape Cod, Mass., said his delivery of the song was colored by the bombings at the Boston Marathon, which he learned of before his sound check.

“The lyrics to the national anthem felt even more important,” he said. “‘What so proudly we hail’ â€" that was definitely a moment where I thought of patriotism across the country, and Boston specifically. I had a different sort of feeling when I sang it last night. But I want to do it even better next time.”