Total Pageviews

Cabdriver’s Book Club

Dear Diary:

I met with the author Will Schwalbe on a raw January afternoon at Café Cluny in the West Village to chat with him about his nonfiction book, “The End of Your Life Book Club.” In it, he establishes a book club for two to pass the time with his mother, Mary Anne, while she receives chemotherapy treatments for pancreatic cancer.

He advocates mini-book clubs, too, asking anyone, anywhere, what they are reading, especially cabdrivers.

“There are some highly intellectual cabbies in this city,” he said.

On the way back to Pennsylvania Station, I tested his theoy.

“What are you reading” I asked the wild-haired Greek driver, before he pulled away from the curb.

“What Are you kidding me I can’t believe you are asking me that question!” he said excitedly. Uh-oh, I thought.

“I am reading my own book; it’s called ‘Little Book of Revelation’ and it is about the Bible: my theories on the Judeo-Christian prophecies.”

His hands flew off the wheel and clapped together.

“Praise God! I can’t believe you asked me that question. Why did you” he asked, as we arrived at my destination.

I showed him Mr. Schwalbe’s book and said, “Because this author says I can start a book club with anyone, anywhere.”

He took the book, looked at the title, the spine, and said: “Yes, I know this book, and the publishing house (Knopf). It’s editor in chief is Sonny Mehta, right”

“Right!” I said, handing him the fare and an extra big tip.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.