Total Pageviews

Sounds of the Road, in 17-Syllable Verse

Illustration: Michael Kolomatsky/The New York Times; Taxi: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times

Well beeped, City Room readers. On the occasion of the city’s decision to take down those seemingly unavailing “No Honking” signs, we asked you to send us a Honku or two to mark the moment. You responded in droves, with extreme literary alacrity. Here is some of your work:

Stuck on Lexington
Man in front has stopped to text
Gonna use the horn
ScottFromNY, Brooklyn

Bumper sticker says,
“Honk if you loe Jesus!” But
What would Jesus do
Madine, Boston

Hey. all you drivers!
Will you play that phrase again
I’m transcribing this.
David, Somerville, MA

If I wanted loud
I would open my closet
See my old plaid suit
Ira Leviton, New York

One hand clapping’s sound,
Is traffic honking madly
At a deaf person.

(Of course I’m honking
With crazed inaccuracy,
About hand clapping;

One hand clapping’s sound
Is five pigeons, taking wing,
Startled by car horns.)
Dan Stackhouse, New York City

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK / HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK / HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK http://t.co/y851casO

â€" Stefan Becket (@stefanjbecket) 30 Jan 13

you honk from behind
makes my teeth grind edge to edge
I want to move too
eliza, ny

Canadian geese,
Thinking their relatives near,
Honky-tonk hello.
whimsicaljackson, jefferson, ny

Great job cab driver
They are going faster now!!
Actually…..nope.
Amber, Manhattan, NY

My impatience grows
Admiring the bright green glow
Firmly my horn blows.
RRK, Philadelphia

Honk your horn! she cried
Honk it yourself! he replied
A soundless union.
Lifeboat No. 6, Adrift in the Mid-Atlantic

“Varick St”

4p on Friday
You don’t get to honk, you jerks
I’m still at my desk
Brett, Brooklyn

The philosophy
“I honk therefore I am” was
never very sound.
Carol Weston, New York

Sweet sound of silence.
Traffic moving without prompts.
N Y.C. pipe dream
Marville, Gilboa

And here are a couple of honorable mentions that do not exactly obey the 5-7-5 syllable rule but moved us nonetheless:

two short - hello goodbye
two longer - wake up
one long - anger
horn talk
al arioli, woodstock, ny