Total Pageviews

A Memorable Concert

Dear Diary:

In late December, after a long day at work, I decided to take a cab home. During the ride, my driver, who appeared to be in his 20s, burst into song.

I took my headphones out of my ears and asked him why he was singing. He replied that he had just received his accounting degree from Queens College and could now pursue a career in accounting. I then inquired where he was from; he informed me that he was from Bangladesh.

After he described the compelling story of how he got here, I asked him if he was familiar with the Concert for Bangladesh.

He responded that even though he was born in 1984, thirteen years after the concert, he knew about it because every year a documentary about the concert was shown in his country, and he knew that the concert had been organized by Ravi Shankar and George Harrison.

I then informed him that I had been at the concert and had slept outside Madison Square Garden overnight with my friends in order to get tickets. He seemed very moved y this, and at the end of the ride extended his hand and thanked me for going to the show.

Imagine that. He thanked me for attending one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.