Total Pageviews

The Ultimate Threat

Dear Diary:

In early November my granddaughter, Louisa, and I were at the Ancient Playground at 85th Street, by the Met. The northeaster that followed Hurricane Sandy had just passed through. The playground had reopened only the afternoon before; small piles of snow were everywhere. Children were running around; grateful parents and nannies were engaged with their cellphones.

As I watched Louisa running from pillar to post, I overheard the following:

Father: “Lucy, put your coat back on!”

Lucy: “No, I'm hot!”

Father: “Lucy, look at the other children. They ALL have their coats on!”

Lucy: “I don't want to. I'm hot!”

Father: “Lucy, if you don't put your coat on, all the parents at this playground will lose respect for you.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.