Total Pageviews

A Song for the Girl in the White Jacket

Dear Diary:

It was a cold day, so I was wearing my new white winter jacket as I stepped onto a not-too-crowded train car with my mom and my sister. Someone was playing guitar. After playing his last chord he began asking for donations.

Just as he finished asking the lady next to him for a donation, his eyes locked on mine. He smiled. He said, “The next song I'm playing is dedicated to … the girl in the white jacket.” My mouth dropped. He started to sing:

“You better not shout, you better not cry, GIRL IN THE WHITE JACKET, you better not pout, I'm telling you why. Santa Claus is coming to town, GIRL IN THE WHITE JACKET….”

He went on and on, randomly screaming “girl in the white jacket.” People on the train started smiling and giving me sympathetic looks. My mom was laughing. People thought it was funny, but they didn't think it was that weird.

I was mortified. He sang the whole song, staring at me for most of it. Again, he went around asking for donations. It was finally our stop. We got off without giving a donation. “Bye bye!” the guy said to me.

On the platform, we discussed what had happened. My mom thought the whole thing was hilarious. However, my sister looked very confused. “Wait,” she said. “We're Jewish.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.