Total Pageviews

A Portrait of Interfaith Giving

Stephen Harmon

Dear Diary:

Stephen Harmon

In November I took a portrait of a Sikh man in a green turban in Little India in Jackson Heights. On Dec. 16, my wife, Cynthia, and I went back to find him and give him an 11-by-14 matted copy.

He did not speak any English, and at first we thought he couldn't take it because of a cultural problem. He only understood that we were giving him a gift when I literally put it against his chest and wrapped his arms around it.

Then he lit up like the sun! And did he smile. He stopped someone on the street to admire his photo. I barely caught it, but here is a little bit of his joy and pride. It's nice when a Jew and a Catholic can give a Christmas gift to a Sikh.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.