Total Pageviews

Instagram Likes and Losers

Dear Diary:

On a recent Sunday, a mom and her daughter are leaving brunch at Pera in SoHo. Both are dressed in blouses, skirts, tights and matching Stuart Weitzman over-the-knee boots.

I am walking behind them down the street, carrying three bags of heavy groceries, and the girl says to her mom, “If you have like, more than 50 likes on your Instagram pics, you’re like…”

“Cool,” the mom finishes, “You’re not a total loser.”

“Right,” the girl says, “You’re like good to go. Right now, I’d say my average is at about 50 likes, which is pretty good.”

Rolling my eyes to myself, I sped around the two women. The move was probably best for both parties; I’m sure they would have cringed knowing they were in the presence of someone who usually has about 15 likes. As I moved in front of them, I smiled, knowing they were the losers.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.