Total Pageviews

A Cream Cheese Type of Flirtation

Dear Diary:

He hopped onto the subway at 79th going downtown, just a stop after mine, and stood opposite me with his back to the door.

Plaid shirt tucked into blue khaki slacks and a nice leather belt, one of those guys who carries his worn-in satchel briefcase across his shoulder and probably works at a successful start-up with a really great graphic logo. He was adorable from his suede oxfords all the way up to the bit of cream cheese on his chin.

I guess I was in a good mood because I smiled broadly and made the universal sign for “you have some cream cheese on your face.”

He smiled back and wiped the wrong side of his face.

I smiled bigger and signed to the other side.

He got it, I nodded affirmatively, and proceeded to ungracefully stare at my feet for the remaining stops until briskly getting off at 59th. Romantic comedies have never been my forte.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.