Total Pageviews

Watch-Repair Sticker Shock

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary:

My father was a doctor at Lenox Hill Hospital for nearly 50 years. On several occasions, wives presented him with the wristwatches of their deceased husbands â€" a way of saying “thank you.” My father, being happy with his stainless-steel Omega, passed the watches on to me. One was a gold Longines. The remnants of that are embedded in the asphalt of Queens Boulevard, where they were scattered in a motorcycle accident. The second was a plain-looking Audemars Piguet, which lay forgotten in various dresser drawers for the next 30-plus years.

The Audemars Piguet always seemed big to me. But with big watches in vogue, and now aware of the brand, I thought it would be fun to fix it up. A technician at “the world’s largest watch store” in Manhattan soberly examined the “timepiece,” as he called it, before pronouncing that it would have to be sent to Switzerland for a proper evaluation.

The repair estimate arrived six weeks later.

Crown: $30. That certainly seemed reasonable!

Refinish Dial: $1,040. A bit steep, I thought, but we are, after all, talking about a timepiece here.

Gasket: $6. Who scrimps on gaskets?

Miscellaneous: $195. Probably needs a squirt of WD-40 or something.

Complete Service: $16,027.

As John McEnroe would say, “You cannot be serious!”

Back to the dresser drawer. Or maybe I’ll give it to Gary, my doctor at Lenox Hill.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.