Total Pageviews

Get Your Hot Chocolate Here!

Dear Diary:

Walking east along 82nd Street toward York Avenue with the weather well below 20 degrees, my thoughts were on the hot drink I would soon make for myself when I got home. Suddenly, as I neared a large apartment house at the corner, I heard a young girl’s voice cry out: “Get your hot chocolate here, hot chocolate here!”

As I got closer to the building entrance, ahead of me was a folding table with a large thermos dispenser, stacks of plastic cups, a can of whipped cream, miniature marshmallows and a hand-lettered sign announcing the offering. Behind the table stood a delightful little girl about 7 years old and her mother.

“How creative,” I thought. “A new take on the summer lemonade stand.” As I came up to the table, the little girl asked, “How do you like it, with whipped cream or marshmallows?”

Surprised by her question, I responded, “How much are you charging?” Laughing, she replied, “it’s free.”

In disbelief, I turned to the girl’s mother. “You’re giving it away?” I asked.

“Yes, it’s free,” she said with a smile. Then she explained, “My daughter got so many gifts for the holidays, we wanted her to learn to give back to the community, and we thought this might be a good way. So enjoy.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.