Total Pageviews

A Vermeer, With a Cellphone

Johannes Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring.”Jaime Henry-White/Associated Press Johannes Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring.”

Dear Diary:

Perhaps it caught my eye because I was still entranced by the mastery of light I had just seen in so many of the paintings from the Hague’s Mauritshuis Museum, at the Frick.

So, while walking east on 70th Street, I noticed a woman approaching, out of the evening’s darkness into the dim glow of a street lamp. She had an angelic face and blond locks, loosely framed by the hood of her jacket, and was glancing down at a cellphone, parallel to her chest.

The illumination from the phone evenly lit her face, and only her face, as if by candlelight, and as we passed, I felt certain I was seeing an image, contemporary yet timeless, worthy of being immortalized by Vermeer.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.