Total Pageviews

A Smile Defuses Subway Wrath

Dear Diary:

Getting squeezed into an overpacked No. 6 train is one thing. But getting stuffed into a 6 train where people will not move? That is just anger on a whole new level.

Running five minutes behind schedule, I was not particularly pleased to see that the 6 train had more and more people shuffling in at every stop. Finally, after the mechanical voice announced the 96th Street stop, I was more than eager to get off of the airless dungeon of a subway. However, I was on a train with New Yorkers, which meant after I exchanged no less than five “excuse me’s,” I had taken only a few small steps.

Fuming, I was about to push a person in front of me, when this figure moved away and looked at me. It was a young girl of short stature, with a flowing dress the color of cool summer grass and a little pink bow in her honey-colored hair. She gave off the impression of being a wildflower in a field of weeds.

The little girl promptly smiled at me, showing off her pearly teeth. She said to me: “Sorry! Have a great day!”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.