Total Pageviews

Dear Inspection Sticker Fairy

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary,

On a dreary afternoon in late December, on a day that matched my mood, I parked my car at a Muni Meter on a main commercial street in Midwood, Brooklyn. I completed my errand and, upon returning to my car, spied something white and orange on my windshield.

Terrific, I thought, I must have forgotten to feed the meter. But as I got closer, I saw that it wasn’t a parking ticket, but a business card. And on it was printed: WARNING! YOUR INSPECTION OR REGISTRATION IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE!!! DON’T GET A TICKET!!!

I checked my registration sticker and sure enough, I had until Dec. 31 to get my car inspected. I would not have noticed and I have no doubt that on the morning of Jan. 1 or 2, a real â€" and expensive â€" New York City ticket would have been perched on my windshield.

Who are you, Registration Fairy, wandering around Brooklyn, performing simple random acts of kindness? You have restored my faith in man’s inherent goodness, which, after this past year’s litany of horrible events, was sorely tried. For that, most of all, I thank you.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.