Total Pageviews

A View of the Empire State Building Seen Anew

Ruby Washington/The New York Times

Dear Diary:

Walking up Macdougal Street, just before Waverly Place, I overheard this conversation between an older couple strolling just behind me:

“Well I’ll be …” said the woman, her voice trailing off, flecked with wonder.

“Would you take a look at that!” marveled the man.

Glancing up and taking in the view of the Empire State Building peeking above Eighth Street, its halo lit all in white, I knew what they were goggling at. The roof of the skyscraper â€" with its pointy antennas â€" is an unexpected sight from the base of Washington Square Park.

Tourists, I thought to myself, slowing down my pace on the quiet Village street, trying to detect an accent.

“In all my years of living here,” the man said to his companion, “I’ve never once noticed that.”

And just like that, the surprise was on me.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.