Total Pageviews

Rescuing a Towed Car

Dear Diary:

Once again, I was at Pier 79 waiting to retrieve my towed car.
I’ve done this before. Service is slow.
While I waited, I caught a sign’s big bad apostrophe,
watched a talented dad pacify his toddler, chatted with some other
acceptors. Of course, there are always a few newbies who rage at the machine
about how wrong this tow was.
Though I’d won in this spot before, I know better.
My goal: my car.
Today, there were two guys, told by the staff that their licenses were
expired, who yelped wildly at the restoration fees.
Then came a fancy woman â€" a naïf from out of town or a seasoned New Yorker?
After the two-hour wait, she was called to pay her bill.
At the clerk’s window, she pushed her credit card through the dip
and got the receipt back for signature.
“Just want to let you know,” she told the help for all to hear, “I’m NOT leaving a tip.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.