Total Pageviews

A Restaurant That’s ‘Too Sit-Downy’

Dear Diary:

I’m standing with my boyfriend on the street outside the Brooklyn Academy of Music discussing where we might go to eat pre-opera.

A young couple comes up next to us.

He: punkish, pinkish hair.

She: a sheer white blouse with a black bra, garter belt, thigh-high boots and a leather skirt that is about the size of a dish towel.

Pointing to a busy bistro right across the street, she says: “I don´t think so. It looks too sit-downy to me.”

Her companion nods his head in agreement. “Way too sit-downy for me too.” They walk the other way.

“Too sit-downy?” I ask my boyfriend. He shakes his head. What does that mean? Is it bad?

We eat somewhere else. We don’t understand the opera either.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.