Total Pageviews

Trick-or-Treating, Honestly

Dear Diary:

While nearing the end of my journey trick-or-treating last year in Forest Hills â€" I was then almost 11 â€" I came upon an unmanned house with a huge bowl of candy on the doorstep.

Picking up my jaw from the ground, I couldn’t believe my good luck. My shoulder devil immediately materialized with a poof and whispered quietly into my ear: “Take all of it! Nobody’s there … This much loot could last YEARS!”

As the possibilities of mouthwatering candy crept into my brain, I sprinted for the doorstep. Only as I came to a halt at the base of the worn brown stairs did I notice the security camera’s blinking red light and the small, handwritten sign above the candy that said “ONLY TAKE ONE, BECAUSE GOD WILL KNOW!”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via email diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.