Total Pageviews

Tea From Their Child’s New Teacher

Dear Diary:

For the first time in three years my children, ages 7 and 11, are attending different schools on the Upper West Side; so, while I accompanied my son to his first day of middle school, my wife went with our daughter to her first day of second grade.

That evening, when my wife came home, she showed me a resealable plastic bag that the teacher had given each parent. Inside was a packet of peppermint herb tea (no caffeine), a cotton ball and a note. The note read:

Dear Parents,

Time flies! They’ve made it to Second Grade! Welcome to another promising year at P.S. 9. I want to thank you for entrusting your child to me. I’ll do my best to be your child’s companion in learning.

After you take a deep breath and wipe your tears, make yourself a nice, warm cup of tea. Then put your feet up and relax. Hold the cotton ball in your hands. The softness will help you recall the gentle spirit of your child. I will work alongside you this year to help your child grow.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Merkelson

My wife and I believe our daughter will have an extraordinary year in second grade!

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.