Total Pageviews

Karate-Chopping Trees in Central Park

Dear Diary:

I am a Central Park Conservancy volunteer tree pruner.

Dragging a small black cherry tree to my cut pile, I heard the familiar “red light-green light, pace setter” getting increasingly close as the Central Park Sports Club kids made a mad dash along Lilac Walk on the way from their Popsicle break to their next activity, “Steal the bacon.”

I levered the cherry until it was vertical and held it still with one hand, pretending it was rooted in the earth. Then I called, “Hey, young athletes, want to see a real-life karate champion?” That stopped them. I bowed in four directions, then heavenward, and intoned my best Sid Caesar-style warrior prayer: “Maki motto chop suey soy.”

With a great windup, I grunted, slashed a karate chop and flicked the tree away. They were stunned. I bowed again.

“Can you do it to that tree?” a little girl asked, pointing to a 60-foot pin oak. “Do it again!” yelled another as he walked backward down the path.

The vision of those adorable children in their bright orange shirts, knobby knees, out-of-proportion sneakers and oversize shorts, the beauty of the park and a thumbs-up from all the counselors â€" what more could one ask for? I should pay for the privilege of this volunteer job.

Michael J. Altschuler, AIA

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.