Total Pageviews

A Rescue on the Subway Tracks

Marilynn K. Yee/The New York Times

Dear Diary:

A Saturday in August, around 8 p.m. Waiting for an uptown No. 1 at Times Square. Feeling a bit faint, I lean against a pole.

(E-mail later from my aunt to my father): “I had placed a call to the Bellevue Hospital ER. I had identified myself as the physician-aunt requesting health information on my niece. The history as obtained from the bystanders was as follows: Naz was standing when she suddenly slumped over and fell on the train tracks. There were no signs of a seizure noted by the bystanders. It was a witnessed fall.”

“She fell down vertically, head first, covering a distance of approximately 5 feet 7 inches below her initial position. Four people immediately jumped down on the tracks. Blood was noted gushing from her forehead. Within a few seconds she was brought out and onto the platform.”

Back to Saturday, sometime after 8:20 p.m.: Sitting on the platform now, several people circling me, blood dripping from my forehead onto the ground. The police officer says an ambulance is coming … Wait, where are the people who saved me? Did I thank them?

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.