Total Pageviews

She Can See Clearly Now

April Anderson

Dear Diary:

The windows outside my fourth-floor office on West 58th Street had not been cleaned in probably 11 or 12 years, and a fine patina of dirt had collected.

In early August, the building began a construction contract, and there were motorized scaffolding platforms cruising up and down past my window all day, with various workers on them who would wave and subsequently push off of my window with their hands, leaving what was beginning to look like an art project of dirt finger-painting.

At one point in the afternoon, I suddenly had a light-bulb epiphany and popped my head out the window on one of their fly-bys (probably scaring the heck out of them). I told them I’d give them $20 if they’d clean my windows while they were at it.

Some Windex, a roll of paper towels and said money later, et voilà! Sparkly windows that should keep me for another 12 years.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.