Total Pageviews

Rock, Paper, Scissors for a Citi Bike

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary:

Approaching a Citi Bike station at 55th and Lexington one recent afternoon, I became interested in the dynamics when a young woman returned the only available bike and two slightly older men, arriving at the same moment in time, found themselves in a dilemma.

“Excuse me, but I think I arrived first and I am in a terrible hurry,” said one.

“Well, I believe I was a step ahead of you, and I also am in a rush,” the other replied.

“So, what if we played one round of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot for the bike?” the first proposed.

And as I watched, Scissors beat Paper, the two men shook hands, and Scissors pedaled off.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.