Total Pageviews

If the Train Were a Tetris Game

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary:

I play a game on the subway. It’s called “How to Make Everyone Fit.” It has really consumed my time. Imagine Angry Birds times a million. I think if that lady would just grab the top bar, then that man could slide down and his daughter could stand in front of him. When I see gaps between people, the train wins. When the gaps are closed, I win.

The other morning I asked a man to scoot down a little. You see, if he moved over, then the man behind him could, too. He turned his head and rolled his eyes so hard I thought they would fall out of his head.

Did I mention it’s a bit like Tetris? I never knew quite how to win; it’s strategic and involves only one player.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.