Total Pageviews

Emmys Watch: Matt LeBlanc on ‘Episodes’

Matt LeBlanc is not Matt LeBlanc.

That is, Matt LeBlanc, the real-life actor who stars in the Hollywood satire “Episodes” on Showtime, is not Matt LeBlanc, the exaggerated fictional character he portrays on that show, the one who stars in a struggling, by all accounts mediocre sitcom called “Pucks.”

It’s an important distinction, because while Matt LeBlanc the character is charming and successful, as written by the “Episodes” creators David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik, he is also a crude, selfish philanderer who seemingly has no shame.

It’s a role for which Mr. LeBlanc has earned a number of accolades, including a Golden Globe in 2012, and an Emmy nomination this year, for lead actor in a comedy series.

During a recent phone interview, Mr. LeBlanc discussed the blurred lines between reality and fiction on “Episodes,” which returns for a third season in January; his acting process; and what he watches on television. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

Q.

Even though you’re playing a fictional version of yourself, there are still a lot of questions about what’s real. Can you shed some light on that?

A.

This is the one I get asked a lot and I’ve kind of stuck to the motto of, it’s not really important what’s real, in my opinion anyway â€" what’s real and what’s fictional and if either is true. What I think is important is, do people believe it? A lot of people have asked me if I’m worried that people will think that’s what I’m really like. I’m not really worried about it. For a long time, people thought I was really like Joey Tribbiani. That’s my job. My job is to make you think that’s who I am. With this one, because the character has the same name as me, it’s a little more convoluted at times. It’s a fictitious character and it’s scripted. We go through it before we start and anything I have problems with we discuss. I gotta be honest, there really hasn’t been anything with the exception of a word here and there. David and Jeffrey do such an amazing job with the script that I have literally no objections to any of it.

Q.

To the show’s benefit, your character has said and done some pretty despicable stuff. Is there a line that you’ve given the writers that you won’t cross?

A.

No, I don’t mind being the brunt of a joke â€" which, with this character I am repeatedly â€" as long as it’s a good joke. If it’s not funny and its not interesting, then, yeah, I would put my hand up and say, “Can we do a little better here?” But I haven’t had any complaints.

People have called me brave for doing this. I don’t see that way at all. I mean I’m flattered that people think that. But I see it as just another character. I approach it the same way. Who is this guy? We have a lot in common. He was on “Friends.” I was on “Friends.” But he’s divorced with two sons and the reasons for his divorce are completely different from the reasons for my divorce. It would be too difficult to illustrate what’s real and what’s not real. It’s easier to just sort of say, it’s all fake. Except for the good stuff. The good stuff is all me.

Q.

In “Pucks” the horrible show within a show, your character plays a hockey coach. Has that idea or something similar ever been pitched to you? What are some of the worst pitches you’ve heard in a meeting?

A.

There was one this year actually â€" I won’t say the network â€" that was really, really bad. That one ended up in the show.

Q.

Which episode did you submit for Emmy consideration?

A.

I don’t remember. It was kind of a group decision with the producers and they said, “We think this one is the best one.” That thing I think is better sometimes [left] to someone else who is close to the project who is not in your shoes. I’m proud of the whole season, so if one seems to have a better chance, there’s people who are better at deciding that.

Q.

Do you feel that “Episodes” is flying under the radar at all?

A.

The strange thing about our show is that we premiere every and a half. So in three years we’ve done two seasons. It’s very odd. We’re trying to have Season 4 come out in 12 months, because every 18 months really kind of handcuffs Showtime, and the BBC for that matter.

Q.

Do you watch any of the other shows you are up against?

A.

I don’t really watch a lot of TV to be quite honest. I tend to get so busy. I have a 9-year-old I have 50-50 custody of and when I have her we try to do other things.

Q.

No kids’ shows?

A.

What does she watch? We watch “America’s Got Talent.” I hate to admit it. She loves to sing. Any of those shows â€" “X Factor,” “American Idol,” all that kind of stuff I watch with her. I try not to have her be completely bombarded with media.

Q.

Has she seen any of your work?

A.

Oh yeah. She calls “Friends” the “Joey Tribbiani Show.” It’s kind of cute.