Total Pageviews

Building a New Tower

Dear Diary:

It is half-past six and I am sprint-walking down Seventh Avenue. I dash madly across it onto Bleecker, through a rivulet of Citi Bikes decorated with sluggish models and helmeted Midtown suits. Once across (unscathed!), my momentum is interrupted by the syrupy meander of a young couple, obviously from out of town. I am nearly angry until I catch their conversation: the boy is pointing at 1 World Trade Center.

“Surely you recognize that building?”

The girl shakes her head.

The boy says: “1 World Trade Center, nearly complete!”

To which the girl replies: “They built a new one?”

Where has she been for the past decade, I wonder, laughing.

I glance down Seventh Avenue: the traffic has picked up again, barreling south, and the daylight is by now leaping into the Hudson. The tower glistens against the gathering evening. I have stopped laughing.

Yes. We built a new one.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.