Total Pageviews

A Brief Kidnapping

Dear Diary:

As I was crossing 59th Street at First on the way to visit my dad in the hospital on Aug. 10, I thought little of the man running across the avenue against the light whom I saw out of the corner of my eye. But as he neared me from behind, he yelled out, in a Southern drawl: “I caught one, Gail! I got one!” And then I was knocked to the ground.

I quickly realized that I was being kidnapped, to await some terrible fate at the hands of Gail and her sprinting accomplice. I screamed with all the strength I could muster for them to leave me alone.

As I turned to fight for my life I could see them getting into the taxi they had run to catch, having accidentally bumped me with their luggage as I was climbing to the curb.

They were no doubt glad to flee from the screaming maniac at the corner.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.