Total Pageviews

Why Walk 30 Feet When You Can Text?

Dear Diary:

On a recent sunny Saturday afternoon, I passed a 20-something woman standing in the doorway of an apartment building in Kips Bay.

About 30 feet away, an older man, sitting on a motorcycle with the engine off, said something to her.

Looking quite annoyed, the young woman responded: “I can’t hear you. Text me.”

Then she quickly disappeared into the building.

Trying to be obedient, the motorcycle man started to type the first few letters of a text, then stopped. Exasperated, he threw his hands up in the air, looked at me, shook his head and said: “Text her? Why didn’t she come over to me? This younger generation … I just don’t know.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.