Total Pageviews

When Nature Calls a Bus Driver

Dear Diary:

On a recent visit to New York City, my cousin, a friend and I were on the northbound 103 bus on Third Avenue, when the female bus driver pulled to the curb at 27th Street, turned off the motor, stood up, walked to the door and announced, “I have to go to the bathroom; I’ll be right back.”

She stepped down to the sidewalk, locked the door and quickly walked down the street. The passengers sat in silence.

My cousin, a lifelong Manhattanite, said, “Boy, I never had THAT happen before.”

We sat and waited for her return; it was one of the days of 100-plus degree heat. We had no air, nor could we leave the bus.

I had checked my watch; she returned in eight minutes and, without a word or a nod, started the engine and proceeded north. The stunned passengers shook their heads in silence and disbelief.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.