Total Pageviews

Farewell to Big Nick’s Burger Joint

Nick Imirziades, right, owner of Big Nick's Burger & Pizza Joint on Broadway, with a customer in February.Chester Higgins Jr./The New York Times Nick Imirziades, right, owner of Big Nick’s Burger & Pizza Joint on Broadway, with a customer in February.

Dear Diary:

My phone rang on July 29. An old friend told me that I could forget going to Big Nick’s Burger & Pizza Joint for lunch, as it had closed suddenly the day before. I was in shock. I went over there, and they were indeed closed, the burger joint’s door sealed off from the public and a big sign, “Lost our lease after 51 years, thank you,” etc.

I hoped to see some of the people I had come to know over the 47 years I had been going to Nick’s, but the men coming out with boxes were nobody I knew. I was dazed, but went about my business.

An hour later, on my way back, I walked again to 77th and Broadway and there was Nick Imirziades, Big Nick himself, standing out front. People were grabbing his hand and hugging him, mournful not only for that well-worn restaurant, but also because of what is happening to our neighborhood. All the character, the bohemian aspect, its unique charm is disappearing.

Nick’s face was very tired. “Nick,” I said, “I have been coming here since about 1966. I am so sorry.”

“You old timer, I always called you a pioneer customer,” he said. We laughed. People wanted to talk to him, so I gestured I would go. He put his hand out once again, and I grabbed it to shake it once more, but he seized me and hugged me.

It was one of those moments, two aging men who have seen something they shared for a long time come to an end. He made such a difference on the Upper West Side scene and a million memories for tourists and neighbors to treasure.

I hope he finds a new space.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.