Total Pageviews

Deflation in the Ticket Line

Dear Diary:

Scene: Sunday, July 28, waiting for tickets to “Love’s Labour’s Lost” at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park.

I was waiting alone, and overheard hours of conversation from the pair ahead of me and the fivesome behind me.

When at noon we stood to form a line, one of the young men behind me (Brooklyn native and soon to be 21 years old, musician, arranger and songwriter, I had heard) approached me (60 years old, out-of-town visitor) and said that he really really liked my shirt, that he had noticed how great I looked in the shirt, that yellow was perfect with my skin tone, and that he and I had similar skin tone.

I thanked him for the compliment, and basked for a brief moment in praise from a hip 20-year-old New Yorker.

Then he continued, “If I saw that shirt in a thrift store, I would totally buy it!”

My out-of-town sense of style suffered a sudden deflation.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.