Total Pageviews

Plácido Domingo Plans to Return to Work

Plácido DomingoDani Pozo/Agence France-Presse â€" Getty Images Plácido Domingo

After nearly a week in a Madrid hospital, where he was treated for a pulmonary embolism, the tenor and conductor Plácido Domingo was released on Saturday, his spokeswoman, Nancy Seltzer, said. Although doctors have prescribed three to four weeks of rest, Mr. Domingo, 72, planned to begin easing his way back to work right away by attending a piano dress rehearsal of “Il Postino,” the opera by Daniel Catán that he was scheduled to sing at the Teatro Real in Madrid starting on Wednesday.

Mr. Domingo has withdrawn from the production, in which he was to have sung Pablo Neruda, the role he created when the work had its world premiere, in Vienna, and later performed at the Los Angeles Opera, where he is the general director. The role will be sung instead by Vicente Ombuena. Ms. Seltzer said that Mr. Domingo used his time in the hospital to study Verdi’s “Giovanna d’Arco,” which he is planning to sing in Salzburg in mid-August. He also expects to sing and conduct at Operalia, the vocal competition over which he presides in Verona, starting on Aug. 19.

“I am very happy that I was released from the hospital yesterday and to be at home in Madrid for the next weeks with my family,” Mr. Domingo said in a statement. “ At the same time I am very disappointed not to be able to perform in my home city, but hopefully if my recovery goes well and I feel healthy, I can continue with my planned performance schedule next month.”