Total Pageviews

A Friendly Mugging

Dear Diary:

While walking quickly through the crowded Midtown streets en route to the 49th Street N train, I saw a roadblock on the corner of 50th and 8th, as several guys were selling their CD’s and taking up the whole sidewalk.

I decided to walk behind them, close to the curb, when one of them confronted me: “Man, I can’t you believe you just did that! You walked right behind our store.”

I looked back and realized he was referring to the small foldout table with a white tablecloth that held their various CD’s. I apologized and said I didn’t realize that it was their store.

He said, “Well, for disrespecting us, you gotta buy my CD.”

I looked into his angry eyes and realized that he was just an artist like me trying to sell his music. I asked him how much it was and he said, “Ten bucks.” I took out my wallet and grabbed a 20 when nine other rappers on the corner approached me and said: “You gotta buy ours, too. You disrespected all of us!”

I said, “I only have a 20, so I can only buy from two of you.” The left-out rappers pleaded, “How you gonna buy theirs, but not mine?”

At that point, I said: “You know what I do? I’m a comedian.” I showed them my composition notebook and said, “You see this? These are jokes.” One of them went, “For real?” I said, “Yup, I do the same thing you guys do.”

The rapper said, “He cool,” and let me proceed toward the subway, down 20 bucks.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.