Total Pageviews

Training a Subway Musician

Dear Diary:

In my two years of commuting on the F train from Essex Street to my office, there has been one constant â€" the man with the guitar and pan flute.

Despite boarding the train at 10 a.m., well after the rush, I would notice that his case never had more than a few singles and some change in it. It was also quite obvious that his repertory barely stretched past the Eagles’ “Hotel California,” along with a few other Eagles classics.

Whether for his sake or that of my fellow straphangers, I bought him a book of simple rock guitar riffs.

Two months passed and nothing came of it. Then in March, as I walked down the steps, I not only heard the Beatles (pan flute edition), but also noticed that his guitar case was far more full than usual.

He winked at me. I smiled.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.