Total Pageviews

Suddenly, a Ring on Her Finger

Dear Diary:

While visiting Manhattan recently from Pennsylvania, I had a most unusual experience.

It was pouring rain in the theater district â€" a sea of umbrellas. Noticing the skies brightening, I reached out my hand from under the umbrella to test the weather. When I brought my hand back â€" lo and behold â€" there was a gold ring on my finger, not there before.

Puzzled, I scanned the crowd to try and discover the source of this “gift.”

Standing near me, and glaring angrily, was a lady wearing one gold hoop earring! She shouted, “What are you trying to do?”

I replied, “Certainly not that â€" so sorry” â€" and returned the earring.

I’ve heard of reaching for the brass ring, but really! Be careful, ladies, of your large hoop earrings. You never know what or whom you might capture!

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.