Total Pageviews

Brusque Manners in the Jewelry Department

Dear Diary:

When I first moved to New York from the Midwest, I was a little taken aback by the city’s pace and slightly rude demeanor, but I quickly learned that brusque manners are merely a disguise for efficiency.

To illustrate, soon after my arrival, I found myself in the jewelry repair department on the eighth floor of Macy’s, where several customers were awaiting service. When my turn finally came around, I explained to the harried clerk that I needed a battery replacement for my watch.

Without looking up, he barked, “Name?” I started to spell my last name, but he abruptly cut me off before I could finish, saying with exasperation, “Too long!” and handed me a ticket for pickup.

The letters “MARQ” were written on the top of the ticket.

Now I know how the immigrants at Ellis Island must have felt.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.