Total Pageviews

A Window Concert in Brooklyn Heights

Dear Diary:

On my bike, downhill on Henry, no jacket, trees in full bloom. There is no turning back from spring. It can’t possibly get any better than this.

I turn onto State Street. In front of a brownstone, the sidewalk is lined with rows of people sitting in white folding chairs. I recognize my friend Erica. The driver waiting for the light to change is leaning out his car window.

Across the street, a small crowd has gathered. Some hard-core bike riders are off their seats, legs straddled, feet planted. A woman is leaning against her boyfriend. Nestled in his arms, she looks blissful. An old man with oddly long and oddly blond hair isn’t moving. A Nordic hippie in a polo shirt. Does he live in the Heights? Why have I never seen him before?

Everyone is staring raptly into an open window.

Suddenly, it all clicks. They’re looking at the back of a piano. Halting chords register. Something familiar, defiantly not classical. A pop song, but I can’t place the era.

A recital?

I spot a sign taped to the glass: “The 4th Window Concert.”

The piece comes to a rollicking finish and the crowd applauds. A young boy appears in the window. He bows, so quickly that I barely see him, then disappears.

Brooklyn Heights, April 28, 2013. Photo via Flickr.Sarah Hocevar Brooklyn Heights, April 28, 2013. Photo via Flickr.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.