Total Pageviews

Your London Theater Questions Answered

Heather Headley in Paul Coltas Heather Headley in “The Bodyguard” in London.

Ben Brantley, chief theater critic for The New York Times, answered readers’ questions about what’s happening in the London theater scene.

Q.

Will you be seeing “The Bodyguard” â€" Patrick Shea, New York

Q.

I know the Times already reported on Betty Buckley in “Dear World,” but is there any chance youâ€ll try to squeeze it into your schedule â€" Freddie, New York

A.

Yes, I do plan to see “The Bodyguard” while I’m here. I would see Heather Headley in pretty much anything, even a revival of (bite my tongue) “Aida,” the show that made her a star. The same is true of Ms. Buckley, and I am grateful for the chance to see “Dear World,” which I know only from recordings.

Also on the list: “The Audience,” of course, and the shows by Alan Bennett at the National; “The Judas Kiss,” starring a padded Rupert Everett as Oscar Wilde; a new play by Simon Stephens, “Port” and the first play by William Boyd and the West End opening of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.” And, oh yes, James MacAv! oy in “Macbeth” and the Domar production of “Trelawney of the Wells.”

There are a few other shows to be scheduled, but as I’m exhausted just from having listed the above, I’ll stop now.

Q.

I am planning to visit London for the first time this summer. What shows do you suggest for someone who is attending the London theater scene for the first time a.f. â€" New York

A.

Lucky you. I was in heaven the first time I did a theater trip to London. (And no, the thrill isn’t gone.) There’s a lot to choose from this summer. The Michael Grandage Company is doing Martin McDonagh’s dark comedy “The Cripple of Innishman,” with Daniel Radcliffe, who has proved himself to be a very game participant in theater in his post-Harry Potter life. At the National Theater, two of the hottest young cassical actors in town, Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear, will be doing “Othello.” An excellent revival of the Sondheim-Furth musical “Merrily We Roll Along” will be at the Pinter Theater. And check out what’s on at smaller, non-West End houses like the Gate, the Bush, the Tricycle, the Lyric Hammersmith and the Hampstead.

Also make a point of going to Shakespeare’s Globe, even if you have to stand (which is what most of the audience does). This summer, their offerings incude a “Tempest,” with the wonderful actor Roger Allam as Prospero, a “Macbeth” and a”Midsummer Night’s Dream.” I’ve found going to the Globe, a facsimile of an Elizabethan theater, is a no-lose experience, even when it rains.

Oh, and don’t pay full price, unless you can afford to. There are all sorts of ways around that. (See the next question.)

Q.

I am an American college theater student in London for the semester. I was wondering how to hear about discounts/spe! cial even! ts in the (off) West-End world â€" Teresa, London

A.

For starters, check out the 12 and 10 pound-ticket offerings from the National Theater and the Michael Grandage Company. There’s also the TKTS booth in Leicester Square, and many of the fringe theaters, including first-rate institutions like the Bush and the Finborough and the Gate, are quite reasonable to begin with.

Here’s a link to a how-to site on getting cheap seats from the theater-addicted Web Cowgirl.

Q.

Is the West End also succumbing to star-driven shows, as Broadway seems to be â€" Drutas, New York

A.

While I would argue that U.K. is every bit as celebrity-obsessed as the U.S., the theater here isn’t quite as bad as Broadway in terms of star mania. To begin with, you have subsidized institutions like the National Theater, where shows can test their legs as West End commercial prospects without big names. (“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime” has recently transferred to the West End.)

It’s also true that far more than in New York, in London there’s a constellation of bona fide stage stars who draw audiences not because they’re famous (or not only because they’re famous) but because they’re incredibly good at what they do. That some of them - like Judi Dench, Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren - have gone on to international screen fame obviously adds to their box-office appeal, but they hold on to their stage chops and are not like! ly to shr! ink (as too many movie stars have done) in a big theater.

Mark Umbers and Jenna Russell in Tristram Kenton Mark Umbers and Jenna Russell in “Merrily We Roll Along.”
Q.

Do you think Broadway could be a better venue for “Merrily” today than it was in 1981 If there were to be a Broadway transfer, what works better for you â€" the Menier production or the James Lapine Encores! production from last season â€" Jesse, Washington

A.

I had never thought I’d see an entirely satisfactory “Merrily,” but the one I just caught at the Menier Chocolate Factory (which is transferring to the Harold Pinter Theater) is incredibly moving. (I found the Encores! version a bit pushy and strained in trying to create historical context.) I have mixed feelings about a show like this on Broadway, only because it worked so beautifully in an intimate space, where the audience felt a genuine emotional closeness to the characters. Some Sondheim is best in small spaces, I think. Make “Merrily” too big, and it can seem vulgar.

Q.

Is “Book of Mormon” a good bet in London I see the prices are way cheaper than in New York. What else would my 18-year-old like this summer â€" Jory Farr, Columbus, Ohio

A.

I’m very curious about how “Book of Mormon” will translate to London, so much so tha! t I’m s! eeing a late preview on my last night here. I’m hopeful, even though it’s such an American show. For one thing, the cast is young, and I’ve discovered that this generation of British performers adapts much more naturally than any that’s come before in sounding and acting American. (That may be because of the trans-Atlantic access that television has provided in ever-greater doses.) Also, though I’d been skeptical about the prospects here for “Avenue Q,” a similarly irreverent and very American young show, I thought it worked beautifully in the West End production.

Sorry I can’t give you a first-hand account yet of this “Mormon.” It’s selling well, I gather, but I haven’t heard any advance buzz. I try to shut my ears to word of mouth on shows I haven’t seen. Word of mouth can be as contagious as a cold.

Q.

“The Audience,” with Helen Mirren as the Queen gain, will be telecast here at movie houses under NT Live. Does that make it unlikely that it will come here if it proves to be successful” â€" cboy, New York

A.

I think it’s entirely possible that, depending on Ms. Mirren’s schedule, “The Audience” could travel to Broadway, despite the broadcast. There’s no underestimating the draw of the live presence of a famous person playing a famous person.