Total Pageviews

A Deal on Chicken Sandwiches

Dear Diary:

The other day, I bought two chicken sandwiches - a childhood favorite - having been talked into a two-for-one deal by the cashier. Ate one for lunch; saved the other for later.

On my way home I phoned my sister, excitedly reliving my lunchtime bonanza for her. She recalled clipping coupons back in the day - two chicken sandwiches for $1. We agreed that after all these years, though the sandwiches were smaller than we remembered, and tasted different - probably all that filler, she sighed - they were nonetheless a standup choice. Then Sandwich No. 2 and I hopped on a Manhattan-bound N train.

A homeless gentleman entered my car and quietly began his spiel. When he passed me, I asked if he was hungry and he said yes. I fished Sandwich No. 2 out of my bag and handed it to him. He took one look and announced:

“Ooh, a chicken sandwich, right”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.