Total Pageviews

No Better Place to Schlep

Dear Diary:

I overheard this one evening while walking down the subway steps. I found it to be very enlightening and so very true.

Younger woman: “Excuse me, can I get a MetroCard and talk to an attendant down there”

Older woman: “You can get a MetroCard but there’s no more booth attendant.”

Younger woman: “O.K., as long as I get a MetroCard. I’ve been away from New York for eight years and just got back. I’m so happy I could hug everyone. Have you ever lived outside of New York and come back again”

Older woman: “Sure, a few times.”

Younger woman: “Yeah, you know I’ve schlepped stuff in many cities, but schlepping here in New York is the best. I don’t know why I moved away.”

Older woman: “Well, real New Yorkers always come home.”

Read all recent entries and our udated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com or follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.