Total Pageviews

After the Snowstorm, an Unexpected Lift

Dear Diary:

It was the morning after the February blizzard and I decided that I had to have a New York adventure, so I walked up the block to my local coffee shop.

All was well except the crosswalk in front had not been shoveled. I was a bit stymied by the heap of snow before me when all of a sudden I was surrounded by a gaggle of rugged construction guys.

They looked at me and at one another and suddenly lifted me over the snow bank! I couldn’t believe it. I’m not young nor light but for a moment I felt like a feather, like a ballerina floating in the air. I bought them all coffee and we left together, and with one final lift I was on my way home.

What a gift they gave an aging, not so light, die-hard New Yawker who hasn’t lost her spirit of adventure. Thank you guys!

Read all recent entries and our updatedsubmissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com and follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.