Total Pageviews

A Poem for a Good Neighbor, Ed Koch

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

Dear Diary:

I was on the bus when I learned

of the loss of the boss of the city on

the day I arrived-

Making our way down Fifth Avenue-

Our Avenue-

from the snowy world of Vermont

The Guggenheim rose, appeared and disappeared

and a sign for the bridge Your bridge passed

I, not quite awake with the news, began feeling the sidewalk

Energy of the city

that you presided over like the Mayor

you were the Mayor

My good neighbor, like a gangly eagle

Two flights above

The elevator encounters

always brought out your wry smile

and gentlemanliness

A former president will speak

at your funeralon

the day I leave the city

that you presided over like the Mayor

you were the Mayor

My neighbor

in a rent-controlled apartment

Grow old, as old as I thought you’d be

Don’t stop now, go on-

call another neighbor “a wacko”

Bella Abzug in her hats

let Larry Kramer hate you forever

and pull his dog away from your petting hand

In our building where

the Minetta Brook flows through and bubbles up

In our lobby

On about upon

the Park that Kertesz walked

and photographed from his window

Our view that was changed by the Twin Towers

not there, there, and not there again

in this city that you presided over like the Mayor

you were the Mayor

Hizzoner

Sometimes the long black cars came

and drove away with you

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail diary@nytimes.com and follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.